We do 3 things that together pack a punch in Oregon politics:
1. We support strong, family-friendly candidates.
Our goal is to build an Oregon where today’s families can thrive. To do this, we need more pro-family elected officials. So we’re pooling our resources – and yours! – to elect key pro-family candidates who will champion the strong, family-friendly public policies Oregon families need. Together we send a powerful, strategic message that we simply cannot send alone.
2. We mobilize mothers to participate effectively in the political process.
Mothers are busy. And too often participating in our political process falls off the “to do” list. But without mothers actively speaking up for what we need, it’s too easy for our elected officials to focus on the people they DO hear from. So our goal is to make the political process so easy to understand and so convenient to participate in that more mothers will jump in – kids and all! When they do, we’re pretty sure that the issues they care about – a strong, stably funded public education system, a reasonable amount of paid time off from work, places to breastfeed at work, equal treatment for all families, to name a few – will move from the back to the front of our elected officials’ minds – and agendas. Best way to jump in? Find out who your state legislator is right now by simply typing in your zip code here. Oh, and sign up for our e-list, of course!
3. We educate candidates about our family-friendly policy platform.
If no-one knows what it looks like to raise a family in a family-friendly state with a family-friendly economy, how will we ever get there? The Mother PAC has defined and actively shares our vision for a family-friendly Oregon – with the people who have the power to make it so. Stop for a minute and imagine an Oregon that looks like this:
- Paid family leave and paid sick days are available to all – so we can care for ourselves and our families without losing our jobs.
- Parents can find part-time work and on-the-job flexibility – so it’s possible to care for our families without forfeiting our careers or financial stability.
- Child care is affordable, high-quality, and readily available to everyone who needs it.
- Children can attend a strong public education system that prepares them well for the future and is adequately and sustainably funded.
- Children’s environment, food, toys, and other products are not toxic to their health.
- Health insurance is not tied to our jobs.
- Women have the freedom to choose when, how and whether they become mothers.
- Every Oregon family, however it is configured, is treated equally.
- There are more mothers in elected office who support smart public policies for modern families.
Worth fighting for, isn’t it?