Election 2014 | Candidate Endorsements
WHATEVER YOU DO: VOTE BY NOVEMBER 4th!
We see an Oregon that values its families through strong, family-friendly public policies. One way to turn our vision into reality is to support local candidates who share our vision – and are willing to champion the kind of policies today’s families need. Policies that:
- Support the economic security of those providing care to children and others, especially mothers.
- Modernize workplaces and public programs to better support parents.
- Guarantee equity for *all* Oregon’s families.
In 2014, we asked candidates for our state legislature to share their views about and make commitments in 4 policy areas:
- Extending paid sick time to every working Oregonian
- Reducing maternal poverty & finding ways to make retirement more financially secure for women
- Making childcare more affordable and accessible for everyone who needs it
- Ensuring that women are paid equally for equal work — especially mothers and women of color, who experience the widest wage gaps
Why these? Because they’re either urgent for Oregon mothers and families or likely to move ahead soon at the state level, or both. Of course we know that there is more to be done – but don’t worry, we’re in it for the long haul and have other key issues in the hopper for the right moment.
To identify candidates we wanted to endorse, we interviewed many for an hour based on a questionnaire they received in advance that both describes the problems we think need to be solved — and invites their proposed solutions. You can read our questionnaire for state legislative candidates here.
OUR ENDORSEMENT for GOVERNOR:
- Re-elect John Kitzhaber [win]
OUR ENDORSEMENTS for NATIONAL OFFICE:
OUR ENDORSEMENTS for the Oregon HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES (there are 60 districts):
- Re-elect Peter Buckley (District 5) [win]
- Re-elect Caddy McKeown (District 9) [win]
- Re-elect David Gomberg (District 10) [win]
- Re-elect Phil Barnhart (District 11) [win]
- Re-elect John Lively (District 12) [win]
- Re-elect Nancy Nathanson (District 13) [win]
- Re-elect Val Hoyle (District 14) [win]
- Elect Dan Rayfield (District 16) [win]
- Elect Bill Dalton (District 19) [lost]
- Elect Paul Evans (District 20) [win]
- Re-elect Betty Komp (District 22) [win]
- Elect Wanda Davis (District 23) [lost]
- Re-elect Tobias Read (District 27) [win]
- Re-elect Jeff Barker (District 28) [win]
- Elect Susan McLain (District 29) [win]
- Re-elect Joe Gallegos (District 30) [win]
- Re-elect Brad Witt (District 31) [win]
- Re-elect Mitch Greenlick (District 33) [win]
- Elect Ken Helm (District 34) [win]
- Re-elect Margaret Doherty (District 35) [win]
- Re-elect Jennifer Williamson (District 36) [win]
- Elect Gerritt Rosenthal (District 37) [lost]
- Re-elect Ann Lininger (District 38) [win]
- Re-elect Brent Barton (District 40) [win]
- Elect Kathleen Taylor (District 41) [win]
- Elect Rob Nosse (District 42) [win]
- Re-elect Lew Frederick (District 43) [win]
- Re-elect Tina Kotek (District 44) [win]
- Elect Barbara Smith Warner (District 45) [win]
- Re-elect Alissa Keny-Guyer (District 46) [win]
- Re-elect Jessica Vega Pederson (District 47) [win]
- Re-elect Chris Gorsek (District 49) [win]
- Elect Carla Piluso (District 50) [win]
- Re-elect Shemia Fagan (District 51) [win]
OUR ENDORSEMENTS for the Oregon SENATE (there are 30 districts):
- Re-elect Alan Bates (District 3) [win]
- Re-elect Floyd Prozanski (District 4) [win]
- Re-elect Lee Beyer (District 6) [win]
- Elect Sara Gelser (District 8) [win]
- Elect Chuck Riley (District 15) [win]
- Re-elect Elizabeth Steiner Hayward (District 17) [win]
- Re-elect Richard Devlin (District 19) [win]
- Elect Jamie Damon (District 20) [lost]
- Re-elect Michael Dembrow (District 23) [win]
- Re-elect Rod Monroe (District 24) [win]
- Elect Rob Bruce (District 26) [lost]
Not sure what district you live in? Never fear, you can quick look it up here (just enter your address + zip).
Curious where we stand on the statewide ballot measures? | We urge you to vote YES on 86, 88 & 89 – learn more here.